Monday, September 3, 2007

Leftover Stuffed Grape Leaves and Reruns



Hola! I'm finishing my left over stuffed grape leaves and watching reruns of TNT's "The Closer." I love forensic dramas. My Mom thinks I'm weird, but I find them fascinating. I found the funniest picture of a Hirschfeld drawing of Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston on "Law and Order." Here's a link to Hirschfeld's TV drawings. So priceless.
Feeling a bit more connected to the outside world today. Had a few im chats with Kavita and Cindy. Got calls from Aditi and Archana yesterday. Ditz was busy and the conversation was kind of brief (but fun!). Her parents are about to move clear across the country. I don't think I'd be holding up as well if I were her. Arch and I had a long and lovely conversation. She's experiencing much of the same anxieties about the new school year. Probably more so, since she's just beginning med school.We shared tons of thoughts on life, love and family. Big issues, I know. So good to hear the voices of people you know and love. Got an e-mail from Marina as well and she says she wants to call today and catch me up on her new life as a married lady. MARRIED! So so crazy. Archana and I were talking about that. Marina...is...married. Nuts. I still see her in jeans and glasses on the floor in the RHS hallway during lunch. I vividly remember the time we had an instant message conversation and she told me she had an actual honest-to-goodness boyfriend named Adam. I remember meeting Adam, sizing him up, making sure he was good enough for her. And now they're husband and wife. So odd how in one day you can go from being a single person to being someone's wife. I remember that at the wedding I said something to Marina like "Oh, look, your husband's doing so and so..." and the word "husband" came so easily. So much easier than the actual idea of their marriage. I know they will do great and I know they will last but I reserve the right the be shocked about it for a while.

Weddings invariably make one think about when they too will be married. I'm inching closer and closer to having a full subscription to Match.com. Who knows. My BoCo friends seem to be doing well with it. We'll see. It still kind of freaks me out. My friend, Maggie, and I used to joke about how we would both never marry and become old and gray Miss Havishams and immerse ourselves in books and false romance. She's married now, natch. Boo. Len is alone. I suppose it would be easier to take if I weren't an absolute helpless romantic. No joke. I AM Kate Winslet in "Sense and Sensibility"...so ready to be madly in love, foolishly expecting her life to end up like something in Shakespeare. Well, I guess I'm a bit more realistic than that. Again, we'll see. Ha ha. Any man who finds me is gonna lose his mind. Oy vey. For now I'll stick to my Frasier DVDs and imagine a world in which I find my very own opera-loving, Eliot-reading, sherry-swigging fancy pants. Well, okay, at the very least. someone who will make me laugh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... mid-20s syndrome is pretty exhausting.

But please know that we're all in it together.

I got into SEX AND THE CITY this summer. I've learned that it's better to NOT watch that show before bed. Watching in daylight helps me feel not-so-alone-in-the-world.

...which is an irrational thought to begin with, because... dug... we're totally not alone...

...even if it feels that way on Mondays and every-other weekend.

xoxo

EleniH said...

Thanks sweetie. I feel very Sondheim-y at the moment. I love you so much.

I'm sorry you feel that way too. We need to talk soon so that I can hear what's going on with you.
I so know what you mean about the Sex and the City thing. I've taken to watching romantic movie clips on YouTube. Sigh.
Love you,
talk soon
Len

Anonymous said...

I am an old married lady, but that doesn't mean that we can't be surrounded by books and be old and crazy together.

::hugs::

I'm sorry this took me, OH TWO MONTHS, to finally read, but I am thinking of you and hope that you're well.