Wednesday, September 5, 2007

People and Things (other than friends and family) that Currently Make Me Very Happy

1. Helen Mirren. I kind of want to BE her. She's got such an elegance and a confidence about her that is effortlessly sexy and, at the same time, she seems incredibly kind and grounded. Plus she has done some amazing roles on stage and in film. I had totally forgotten that I actually saw her on stage with Ian McKellen in "Dance of Death." I'm so lucky that I have that memory. (Incidentally, did anyone know that she was in a film in which Cuba Gooding Jr. was her love interest?Not quite sure how I feel about this).

2.Vanity Fair's March 2007 Hollywood Portfolio. Apparently I slept through this, but Annie Liebowitz did a film noir-esque photo shoot with tons of cool actors. Naturally, my favorite shot is a glam photo of Ms. Mirren and Dame Judi Dench (who is all kinds of awesome).Check out the fabulous photos. Angelica Huston likewise looks awesome.


3.The fact that the "Sweeney Todd" movie is coming out very soon. Hooray for Gothic musicals about people who slit people's throats starring Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman! The poster looks amazing. I was talking to Gretta today about how fabulous the musical is and how the movie has the potential to be mind-blowingly wonderful or tragically terrible. I kind of don't care. I want to see it so badly. The poster looks extremely tantalizing. Depp certainly has the Todd look down.


4.Glenn Close. Yes my idol of years ago is still pretty great. "Damages" is a fabulous show and I'm looking forward to getting a paycheck so I can catch up with the series on iTunes. She's been making the talk show rounds recently and she looks drop dead gorgeous (she just turned 60, by the way, more proof that aging gracefully is infinitely more attractive than aging plastically, as it were).YouTube has her interview with Letterman which is funny. Rumors are circulating about a "Sunset Boulevard" film adaptation and I'm beyond excited at the prospect of being fourteen again and experiencing the ridiculously melodramatic but gloriously romantic musical on the screen. Please, dear God, let them find a good director and not rip the thing to shreds.

5.Laughing till I cry a little. Allison made some comment today about a certain singer's Christmas album that has an original song. In the song, the woman mentions her newborn son's eyes. We both felt that the lyric was a little self-indulgent and Allison said something sarcastic like "No one cares about your son. He has ugly eyes." So ridiculously funny. I was tearing on the ground floor of Newbury Street's new Best Buy. Good times.

6. The fact that the Red Sox won tonight and are currently seven games ahead of the Yankees and that Manny Ramirez is healing coming back to play soon. Go Sox!

No comments: